Aesthetic Vaginal Surgery
Labiaplasty and female cosmetic genital rejuvenation can address conditions that result from an enlarged labia that may be causing discomfort and self-consciousness with your appearance. An enlarged or asymmetrical labia is a very common condition among women, and procedures offered by our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. James A. Matas, can effectively recontour and renew the area without harming surrounding tissues or affecting sexual sensation. Labiaplasty can help you feel more comfortable while wearing certain types of clothing, exercising, and engaging in sexual intimacy. Dr. Matas can help you attain your goals and enhance your self-confidence with this commonly performed procedure.
- Best Candidates for Labiaplasty
- How Labiaplasty and Cosmetic Genital Rejuvenation is Performed
- Recovery from Labiaplasty
Best Candidates for Labiaplasty
Good candidates for labiaplasty include women who experience elongated labial tissue due to recent pregnancy, weight loss, menopause, hereditary conditions, the natural aging process, or other factors. Candidates include women who experience discomfort, pain, or self-consciousness in social situations and while engaging in regular daily activities due to elongated labial tissue. Dr. Matas will meet with you during an initial, private consultation to answer your questions and determine if labiaplasty is the right option for your needs.
How Labiaplasty and Cosmetic Genital Rejuvenation is Performed
There are several different types of labiaplasty and cosmetic genital rejuvenation techniques – the best option for you will depend on your specific needs.
- Labia Minora Reduction – this labiaplasty procedure involves the surgical removal of excess tissue and reshaping of the inner lips of the vulva. Incisions are very carefully placed and scarring should be well-hidden after the procedure.
- Labia Majora Reduction – this form of labiaplasty concentrates on reducing excess tissue in the outer lips of the genitalia. Although this procedure can be effective, it may not be necessary if you undergo labial minora reduction.
- Clitoral Hood Reduction – this can often be performed in combination with labiaplasty. A clitoral hood reduction is designed to trim excess skin that may be hanging over the clitoris.
- Injectable Dermal Fillers – dermal fillers can be used to add volume to the labial majora and reduce the appearance of labial minora elongation; however, this treatment is not permanent and will need to be periodically repeated to maintain the effects.
Recovery from Labiaplasty
Surgical labiaplasty and cosmetic genital rejuvenation procedures are typically performed using dissolvable sutures to close the incisions. A long-lasting anesthetic will be injected into the area to minimize post-operative discomfort. You will need about four to five days of bed-rest after the procedure. Dr. Matas advises patients to avoid excessive sitting for two weeks. Cycling, sexual intercourse, and other activities that may cause direct pressure to be applied to the genital area should be avoided for at least six weeks.
Your New Look
Once the initial swelling from labiaplasty surgery has subsided, you should notice the optimal results of this procedure. Most patients who undergo labiaplasty are now able to feel confident and comfortable while exercising, walking, engaging in sexual intimacy, wearing certain types of clothing, and participating in other activities that caused them discomfort before the surgery was performed.